The Q&A Archives: Sweet Gum

Question: My sweet gum and maple both "burn up" around the edges; the leaves just turn brown around the edges and die. They also get pale as if they have an iron deficiency. I have tried a dormant spray, Miracle Gro Acid formula, several pesticides, and have applied iron. Nothing seems to help. The climate here is high plains desert, about 20 inches of rain and pretty windy at times. The sweet gums were recommended by the soil conservationist. There is verticulum wilt in the area. Any hints? Doug Piotter Borger, TX, north of Amarillo

Answer: You've got quite a few problems going on down there in Texas. First of all the scorching of the maple and sweet gum leaves could be do to stress from drought (especially if they are newly planted trees) combined with wind stress (I know it's windy onthe plains). If you really suspect wilt in the soil, have a piece of branch sent to the Plant Diagnostic Lab at Texas A