The Q&A Archives: Potting Soil

Question: Will organic soil benefit my house plants better than regular soil? Will regular soil be harmful to my toddlers if they play in the dirt?
What does it mean to

Answer: Any commercially prepared potting soil (such as Miracle Gro) is great for houseplants and is made of shredded bark, sand and vermiculite - it isn't considered edible, but I don't think it will hurt children if they play in it. Potting soil is best for houseplants because it drains well and is light in weight. To feed plants weekly means to water as usual and add some fertilizer to the water once each week. I use a water soluable fertilizers such as Peter's or Miracle Gro, mix it into the water and then apply it to my plants in place of a regular watering. Hope this answers your questions.