The Q&A Archives: siberian elm shrubs

Question: I have planted these shrubs and most all 20-23 are still looking like sticks after three weeks, how long should I wait before throwing in the towel??? thanks chet

Answer: I think it is still a little early to give up on your plants. Although you don't see any top growth, it is very possible the roots are working hard to become established in their new homes. Ulmus pumila (Siberian Elm) is easily grown in any well-drained
soil type but prefers well-drained fertile soil. This species prefers full sun and succeeds well in arid regions. As such, it may be waiting for some extended hot weather to signal it to grow. Just keep watering them on a regular basis and I'm sure you will see some new growth soon. Good luck with your plants!