The Q&A Archives: Flagstone

Question: I'm getting ready to extend a front porch with flagstone, I've done all the dirt work. My question is: For rain run off how much of a drop in elevation do I need for this? The area is 9' out from the existing porch, or do I need to worry about this as this house is in Tucson, only rain fall is July through maybe Sept. Not that much rain.Thank you!

Answer: As long as you follow your lot's grade, there should not be a drainage problem. However, one inch per 20 feet is what is generally recommended. Since you have already excavated the site, and as long as you lay gravel or sand for a base, rainwater should percolate down through the flagstones without problem. Best wishes with your new flagstone project!