The Q&A Archives: gypsum

Question: I live where association takes care of lawn. They only fertilize, nothing extra. I have hard clay and a dog. I read gypsum is good for a healthy lawn.I never know when they will fertilize. I also planted new grass in spots and will be planting more soon. Can I use gypsum around fertilizer and/or on new grass or dirt where I will be planting new grass seed?

Answer: Applying gypsum to your soil is an excellent way to help loosen heavy clay soils. Gypsum improves soil porosity, which is the soil's ability to absorb nutrients. Gypsum will allow easier soil penetration for seedling grass and can be applied at a rate of up to 60 lbs. per 1,000 feet of lawn area. I would reseed the area first and allow the new grass to grow 2-3 inches high. After the second or third mowing you can apply gypsum and it will work its way into the soil. There's no reason that you cannot apply it at any time, in amounts as suggested on the label. Good luck with your lawn!