The Q&A Archives: looking for ideas for my english ivy

Question: i bought an 4 to 5 foot english ivy and wanted some ideas where and how to plant it. can i use it in a decorated planter? how do i keep it from year to year in it's container or should i just plant it in the ground? i have a plant code on the back of my tag but don't know how to use it in this section. thank you

Answer: English ivy makes a good houseplant and looks lovely when allowed to cascade down over the sides of a hanging planter. You can use a decorative planter and just set your container of ivy inside. This way you can remove it to water the plant. Or, you can hang it outdoors in a partially shady spot (hot afternoon sun might be a bit much for it). I think you should put your plant in several different places until it looks just right in your home. Once you're happy with the placement you can find a decorative pot or a hanging planter. Good luck with your new ivy~