The Q&A Archives: Rose bush care

Question: I have two different varieties of roses. They each afre under my awning on my patio. They do not get any direct sun light. I am wondering how to water them slo I do not cause any problems. My Tropicana rose has already given me two beautiful an d very fragrant flowers. Please advise.

Answer: I'm surprised your roses are flowering without direct sunshine, but I'm not going to question them at all. I hope they keep up the good work! You will want to water them 2 times a week during the hottest months of the year by deeply soaking the soil to encourage the roots to grow deeply where the soil is cooler. You can dig a little basin around each plant to facilitate watering by mounding a few inches of soil up in a circle, about 12 inches away from the main trunk. Fill this basin with water, allow to drain, then fill it a second time. This will concentrate the moisture directly over the root mass and allow it to trickle down, wetting all the roots. Once a week should do it - twice a week in triple digit weather or if your plants look stressed. Good luck with your roses!