The Q&A Archives: Zone

Question: I live in Las Vegas, Nevada. Could you please tell me what zone I am in?

Answer: You are in gardening zone 9. Roses grow especially well in your region, as do lantana, verbena, salvia, mint, and rosemary. You can also plant calendula, black-eyed Susan, purple coneflower, aster, coreopsis, spreading fleabane, zinnia, and gaillardia. Milkweed (Asclepias tuberosa), buddleia, and passionvine are other excellent choices. Gaillardia, Pincushion flower, cosmos, sunflowers, French marigolds (tagetes spp.), and zinnias do well in your area as do coreopsis, liatris, pentas, Jupiter's beard, coral bells. Herbs: yarrow, hyssop, mints, lavender, bee balm, rosemary, catnip, and pineapple sage. Hope this short list gives you some ideas for your new garden!