The Q&A Archives: yellowing leaves

Question: Planted 2 weeks ago, one of my prepotted roses & one of my prepotted honeysuckle plants are now showing signs of yellowing leaves (only acouple on each plant). I prepared the areas very well & don't believe it's due to lack of nutrients- could it be overwatering?

Answer: Yellowing leaves can indicate over watering but it might also simply be transplant stress. Your plants will eventually establish their root systems and perk up. You should be able to water your new plants deeply once or twice a week, depending upon weather. Soak them deeply then allow the top inch of soil to dry out before watering again. Too much water can actually suffocate the roots so don't water so often that the soil stays wet for any length of time. You can stick your finger down into the soil to check on the moisture level. If it's dry 2 inches below the surface, it's time to water. Best wishes with your new plants.