The Q&A Archives: Blossom drop on hibiscus

Question: I have hibiscus planted in large urn which I water frequently. It has stopped blooming (only been in urn 5 months). The buds drop instead of opening.Can not see any insect infestation.

Answer: Sometimes hibiscus produces more buds than they can support, so the buds dry up and fall off. More often, the plant has been under watered. Keep the soil moist but not soggy wet. And, inspect a few of those unopened buds, looking for a small hole in the sepals. There's a bud worm that enters the unopened flower bud and feeds on the petals then makes an exit hole. Slice open a few, too, to make sure all the petals are unharmed. Bud worms are difficult to control, but if you inspect the unopened buds on a daily basis, looking for a hole you can pick off the affected buds to destroy the worm and stop any future generations. Good luck with your hibiscus.