The Q&A Archives: backlawn

Question: Is it easy to grow bermuda grass? Why people don't like the grass? Is there a turf type bermuda? It has been raining for 2 weeks now. How do I cut my very long grass without chopping the top half off?

Answer: Bermuda is a warm season grass and it is easy to maintain with regular mowing and watering. It dies down when the weather gets cool which might be why some people don't like it. There are several varieties of bermuda grass. I know it is hard to mow the lawn when the soil is soggy so it is best to wait until things dry out and then mow it high by setting your wheels and blade adjustment lever. Mow as high as you can, wait 4-5 days and reset your mower then mow it a little lower, then wait another 4-5 days and set your mower back to its normal setting and mow it a third time. This will shorten the blades in increments and not scalp your lawn. Hope it stops raining soon!