The Q&A Archives: Mulching

Question: HI,I know that mulch can hold water and keep plants moist.I planted a weeping cherry tree, a few rose bushes, lilac bushes and some hydrangea plants in my front yard this spring.They get plenty of sun.I bought a red cedar mulch to spread around. I was told that I should keep the mulch from coming to close to the plants, maybe a few inches away from the base. Will this also help with weeds?

Answer: The reasoning behind keeping the mulch an inch or two away from the main stems is that the mulch can hold excess moisture against the bark and can cause rot. The mulch will still suppress weeds but may not totally eliminate them. You might want to check your trees on a weekly basis and pull any newly sprouted weeds while they are still tiny and easy to pull. Enjoy your landscape!