The Q&A Archives: Plant Suggestions

Question: The front of our house faces east with two large Modesto Ashes in the front, putting the flower bed in shade most of the time. I would like to plant some perennials that flower, but I don't have a clue as to what to plant. What can you suggest for a 20' by 3' foot bed?

Answer: There are many shade-loving plants that will remain small enough to look attractive in your garden spot. Some are annuals, but most a perennials: Pansy, Solomon's Seal, Saxifrage, Forget-Me-Not, Moneywort, Lobelia, Lily, Lamium, Hosta, Gentian, Ferns, Cyclamen, Lily-Of-The-Valley, Anemone, Begonia, Campanula, and Bergenia. A few showy shrubs like Winter Daphne, Hardy Fuchsia, Osmanthus, Azalea and Camellia will help provide color and texture to your shady garden bed.