The Q&A Archives: How do I prepare my soil for a Garden Of bulbs

Question: Greetings! I will be planting some if not all of the following bulbs. My soil is rock hard a day after watering. I live in Victorville, Ca. the Hi desert. What can I do to prepare to plant these beauties? 10 Mixed Hybrid Lilies
15 Dutch Iris
15 Mexican Shellflowers
40 Mixed Gladiolus
15 Ranunculus
2 Elephant Ear Caladium
3 Red Hanging Basket Begonias
Tahiti sunrise

Answer: If your soil is heavy and doesn't drain well because you can amend the soil with all kinds of organic matter prior to planting. I'd spread a 3-4" layer of compost, aged-manure or shredded leaves over the top of the bed and dig it in to a depth of 6-8" then plant the bulbs. After planting you can spread another 2-3" layer of organic matter over the top of the bed. This mulch material will help suppress weeds, slow moisture evaporation and stop soil erosion over the winter months. With all the beautifully flowering bulbs, your garden should be a real knock out! Best wishes with your new bulb garden!