The Q&A Archives: Flowerbed or Cat Box?

Question: What can I do to keep my cat from using my flowerbed as a cat box? Fox urine does no good. TV shows recommend chicken wire, but my flowers are already in!

Answer: You can try laying rose bush trimmings or something with thorns on the soil between your plants to discourage cats. I've had good luck with putting stakes around the perimeter of the flower bed and stringing nylon fishing line from stake to stake. Criss-cross the line, keeping it no more than 12 inches between lines, and keep the line about 6 inches above the soil. There just isn't enough room for a cat to comfortably crawl under, or over the line, and not quite enough room for them to dig and squat. Once the felines are discouraged a few times, they'll find some place else to relieve themselves and you can safely remove the fishing line.