The Q&A Archives: Holes in the leaves

Question: Hello,

My pepper plants have little holes in the leaves. I don't see any insects flying or crawling around them. I planted them as plants bought from the garden store in heathy condition. I live in Maryland and the weather has been rainy in the 60's to 70's for the last few weeks. I have been using Ortho Max-garden insect dust but holes are appearing on more of the leaves. What can I do?

Answer: If you have already used an insecticide and new holes are still appearing the pest might be slugs or snails or they could be little caterpillars. Try going out at night with a flashlight - that's when snails and slugs munch. If you find any you can hand pick them or you can use an iron based bait such as Sluggo. It's safe to use in veggies gardens. If you find no slugs or snails, look closely at the undersides of the leaves for small green caterpillars. These guys can be controlled with the botanical Bt (bacillus thuringensis) which is sold as Dipel in garden centers. Hope this helps!