The Q&A Archives: Bouganvilla

Question: I learned after planting my bouganvilla that it is vitally important to not disturb their root balls. Three years later they are alive and look healthy, but are growing very, very, slowly. Would I be better to tear them out and start again or will they eventually recover from the root ball trauma that I caused them?

Answer: No, I wouldn't dig them out. After 3 years they should be firmly established in your garden. To promote healthy new growth you can prune your bougainvillea back. Spring is an excellent time to do this. I think you will see lots of new growth if your prune yours back now. They do need lots of sunshine and prefer reflected heat. As long as yours is planted in full sunshine you won't need to move it.