The Q&A Archives: Will I see the beauty of my bulbs in 2009?

Question: Will my bulb garden blossom this summer and should I remove the bulbs the winter? Hybrid Lilies
15 Dutch Iris
15 Mexican Shellflowers
40 Mixed Gladiolus
15 Ranunculus
2 Elephant Ear Caladium
3 Red Hanging Basket Begonias
Tahiti sunrise

Answer: Once the bulbs are planted, you won't need to dig and replant them, with the exception of the Elephant ears, caladium and begonias. These are frost tender and should be dug after the first fall frost and stored in a cool but above freezing weather. The rest should be fine. Dutch Iris are typically spring bloomers so they may not bloom for you this year, but the rest will bloom in summer. For extra winter protection, cut down the frost killed foliage in late fall and mulch over the bed with 3-4 inches of straw, pine boughs, dried leaves, etc. to help insulate the soil for excessive cold. Enjoy your garden!