The Q&A Archives: Peonies Have Not Yet Budded

Question: I planted three peony plants in a Southern exposure by my house last fall. Only one of the three has a bud on it this year. I have treated all of the plants the same, watered, lightly fertilized with compost/soil mixture. Do you have any recommendations for me? I am concerned that I may need to fertilize more often or re-set the depth of the two non-budding plants. They get full sun all day and the soil seems to be very sandy with clay. Of course, I could be jumping the gun, but it is suspicious that there is a split of behaviors of plants the exact same age and almost identical planting situations.

Answer: You may be right about the planting depth - the crowns should be no deeper than 1-2" below the soil surface. On the other hand, if the crowns are young and have fewer than three eyes need a year or two to put on some size before they'll bloom. Hope this helps!