The Q&A Archives: leylands cypress- 1 gal. po.

Question: how far apart do I plant them. the tag says 10ft space. I am working with a 40ft area along a back fence. I bought 8 of them. The gardener at home depot told me to stager them.Is this so? Please help.

Answer: I would plant them in a row (although staggering them would mean a thicker hedge and would give each plant more room to grow). They are usually planted 6-8 feet apart for a privacy hedge. If you have 8 plants and 40 feet of space, you can plant them 5 feet apart and they will grow together into a thick hedge. They are very adaptable and won't mind being planted close together. If you don't mind waiting for them to grow (they usually grow 3-4 feet a year), you can space them even further apart - 10-15 feet and they will eventually grow together. The choice is yours!