The Q&A Archives: Seeds will not grow

Question: I put down grass seed on one part of my lawn scotts seed but it will not grow what cause this ?the area bare

Answer: Grass seeds usually sprout in 7-10 days as long as they are kept moist and never allowed to dry out. We usually recommend you cover newly seeded areas with compost or peat moss to help keep the seed bed moist. It is also important that the seeds make good contact with the soil so raking the area to roughen it up prior to seeding and then covering the seed with compost or peat will give the seeds the best chance of sprouting. If they dry out, even for an hour, when they are in the process of germinating, it can cause them to die. Hope this information helps you determine just what might have happened to the grass seeds.