The Q&A Archives: Fertilizer

Question: I just purchased quiet a few Perennials and would like to know if I can use an all purpose fertilizer on them. I would also like suggestions on how to keep up with what needs to be fertilized when. The perennials I purchased includes: Amazing Grace Creeping Pholox, Carolina Jessamine,Gayfeather, Mondo and Ornamental Grass, Bougainvillea, Bronze Beaty Cleyera, Gardenia's and Bridal Wreath Spiraea's

Answer: Any all purpose fertilizer will be fine for your perennials. You can use either granular or liquid (such as Miracle Gro). If you use time release fertilizer, you only need to feed once in mid=June. If you use liquid, about once every 4 weeks (read the label for additional recommendations). It is as important not to overfeed as it is to provide enough nutrients to your plants so just follow the guidelines on the fertilizer packages and you're sure to provide just the right amount to your new plants. Enjoy!