The Q&A Archives: Rhodies And Roses

Question: I may be removing an unblooming rhody next year. Can I plant a rose in it's place? It would be between two other rhodies that are far hardier than the one in question.

Answer: If your rhodie isn't blooming, perhaps it isn't receiving the sunshine it requires. If this is the case, move it to a more exposed part of your garden. If it's not blooming because it needs pruning and feeding, try coaxing it to bloom by pruning lightly (to encourage blossom buds) and fertilizing it with an acid-based fertilizer. Roses require at least 8 hours of direct sunshine each day to bloom and grow. Roses also like to be the center of attention, so why not consider planting several roses in a different area of the garden? If you chose to remove your rhodie, you can replace it with an azalea or two. Azaleas and rhodies are perfect garden companions; they like the same exposure and an acidic soil, which you can provide by using peatmoss as a mulch over the root systems of the plants.