The Q&A Archives: Transplanting

Question: The same question I have applies to several plants. I want to move two Rose of Sharon bushes that are overtaking my Clematis vine, I want to move several mum's that are growing larger than I expected, and also, I wanted to move several daylillies to another area. Is it safe to move any or all now, or have I waited too long? Thanks for your help.

Answer: Either spring or fall, when weather is cool, is less stressful on plants that are dug and transplanted. I don't think it is too late in the year. While you have the mums and the daylilies out of the ground, you can divide them by simply slicing through the rootmass with a shovel. As long as each division has some roots and some tops, they will grow into new plants all on their own. Enjoy your garden!