The Q&A Archives: Rose care

Question: My roses are a year old now and are starting to really take off. However several branches are much longer than others (all without any buds right now). Should I cut those back to the same size as the other branches?

Answer: If you haven't already, you should prune everything down to give your roses a good start on the growing season. Cut everything down to about knee high and remove any canes that have turned gray, leaving 3-5 of the most vigorous canes. Cut each cane to an outside facing bud. This is where new growth will emerge. As your rose bush grows all of the canes will be approximately the same height. You can safely prune back any that are extra long, making them the same height as the rest of the plant. Enjoy your roses!