The Q&A Archives: Red,White, and Blue Folowers

Question: I installed a flagpole w/ a flower bed around it. I would like to plant flowers w/ red, white, and blue colors that will bloom all summer. I'm good w/ the lawn but have no experience w/ flowers.

What flowers would give me the colors and are there any that will bloom all summer long?

I've read a bit about day lilies in the newspaper. Any other suggestions? Location is SE Virginia.

Answer: Blue is not a very common flower color, so your choices are somewhat limited. Salvia is available in blue ("Victoria"), white ("Porcelain") and red (many types) in similar heights; Ageratum is available in blue, and occasionally can be found in white; lobelia is blue, petunias in red and white, and a deep blue, nierembergia and "Star White" zinnia, marigolds are also available in a creamy white. I'm sure there are others but the above are at least a start. Have fun with your project!