The Q&A Archives: Weisteria that doesn't bloom

Question: My weisteria is about 9 years old and has beautiful growth each year, but has NEVER bloomed. HELP PLEASE...I have tried pruning at different times, cutting the root, fertilizers and no fertilizers.????

Sandra Sweany

Answer: You would be absolutely amazed if you knew how many folks have this problem (or maybe you wouldn't since you are going through it yourself). It sounds like you have tried all of the remedies out there including root pruning, which is normally successful. Root pruning is best done in the spring so your plant has a whole growing season to recuperate. Root pruning is accomplished by slicing the roots with a sharp spade in a circle about 1' deep and about 2' from the stem. When you do this, add some of that superphosphate in to the trench, just beyond where you have severed the roots. I would try it again - and I hope it works this time. I have heard of wisteria flowering once and then not doing so again for 20 years! It is a beautiful but stubborn, stubborn plant.