The Q&A Archives: Milkweed seeds

Question: I know that Milkweed is a weed that most people don't want in their yards, however I have heard that Hummingbirds love their flowers. I have lots of room for the plants. Do you sell the seeds or do you know where I can purchase them?

Answer: Hummingbirds have their own landscape favorites, including cotoneaster, buddleia, flowering quince, trumpet vine, foxglove, and lilies. Most any flower with a trumpet-shape will attract them, and red-colored flowers are a special favorite. I'd stay away from deliberately planting weeds for the benefit of hummingbirds. Weeds can become invasive in a hurry, and they have no particular appeal to people. The above plants will enhance your landscape with attractive foliage and flowers, and will be more managable in the long run!