The Q&A Archives: Road Salt from the State trucks

Question: The ground abuts the state road who uses a lot of salt in winter. I want to plant grass and a shrub hedge. It also abuts my septic system and the ground is like beach sand. What grass and shrubs should I plant?

Answer: Some plants are more salt tolerant than others. Winter berry, black and red chokeberries (Aronia), cotoneaster, hydrangea, potentilla, purple sandcherry, and shrub roses are reasonably salt tolerant. Avoid planting burning bush, dogwood, Harry Lauder's walking stick (Corylus avellana 'Contorta'), smokebush, and yew - they are not at all salt tolerant. Before planting, make sure there is plenty of room for the roots of these shrubs. Planting too near a septic system can cause lots of problems when the shrubs mature. I'm not familiar with any turfgrasses that are salt tolerant so perhaps you should consider growing ground covers instead?