The Q&A Archives: Pruning Heritage' Raspberries

Question: I have some Heritage' raspberries plants and would like to know when is the best time to prune the plants. How much fertlizer should I use on them in the spring? Kenny Krumeich Edwardsville, IL

Answer: 'Heritage' raspberry is an everbearing type. This means you get a crop in early summer and again in fall. Many growers say the spring crop isn't very large and they for go that crop and just enjoy the fall crop. To prune them, in spring let the first year canes grow up, flower and fruit for fall. In fall, after fruiting, remove these canes by mowing the whole patch to the ground. You'll sacrifice the summer crop, but get a much larger fall crop next year. If you really want that summer crop too,leave the canes through winter and they'll produce a summer crop. Remove them after the summer crop and let the new canes grow to produce a fall crop. In spring, mulch the bed heavily with compost and apply a complete fertilizer such as 10-10-10 tokeep them healthy.