The Q&A Archives: grave summer flowers

Question: I am looking for some pretty flowers that will bloom each year on my grandmother's grave, with little attention. The area is semi-shade, in nj. I can only get there about once a week to water the flowers-any suggestions>

Answer: It is really difficult to recommend a plant because I don't know if there are any restrictions at the cemetery. But, here are a few that should perform well with little attention: Anaphalis margaritacea (western pearly everlasting) - 1-3 ft. tall, blooms June to October. Desmodium canadense (showy ticktrefoil) - 2-6 ft. tall, blooms June - September. Mitchella repens (partridgeberry) - trailing evergreen, up to 2 ft. tall, blooms June to August. Monarda fistulosa (wild bergamot) - 1 to 3 ft., blooms May to September. Phlox subulata (moss phlox) - evergreen, forms mat, blooms March to June. Polystichum acrostichoides (Christmas fern) - evergreen, 1 t 2 ft. tall. Hope one of these works for you!