The Q&A Archives: slugs

Question: Hi there!
I am getting ready to plant my vegetable garden and am wondering if there are any border plants that will help keep slugs away? Any suggestions for the little critters?
Thanks Pam

Answer: There are actually several plants that slugs don't seem to bother so if they come up against them they may not continue on their path and find your vegetable garden. Here's a short list:

Alchemilla mollis (lady's mantle), Alyssum, Arabis, Armeria (thrift), Artemisia,
Astilbe, Crocosmia, Dianthus, Grasses (ornamental types), Heuchera (coral bells), Iris, and Lavandula (lavender).

Or you might want to use one of the iron based slug controls on the perimeter of your garden. Sluggo is iron based and whatever is not consumed degrades into an iron that will enrich your soil.