The Q&A Archives: Climbing Vines for Zone 3

Question: What climbing vines can I plant for Zone 3 that will over-winter well? I would like them to flower but that is not a priority. Will Silver Lace Vine survive here? Would like them to be vigorous growers too.

Answer: The official word on Silver lace vine is that it's hardy only to zone 4. There is good news, though! Virginia Creeper (Parthenocissus quinquefolia) is a fast-growing, hardy screening vine with minor blooms. If you want to go for color, try these Honeysuckles (Lonicera): L. brownii 'Dropmore Scarlet', L. heckrottii, 'Goldflame', L. sempervirens 'Cedar Lane' & 'Sulphurea'. It's best to find locally-grown stock to ensure hardiness, but you can obtain all of these via mail order from Carroll Gardens (444 East Main St., Westminster MD 21157; ph# 800/638-6334) if you can't find them nearby. Good luck!