The Q&A Archives: fig tree,

Question: How do cut a peice of fig tree to plant, can I do that now and how do I plant it?

Answer: Fig plants are usually propagated by cuttings and it works best in the winter months. Select foot-long pieces of dormant wood, less than 1 inch diameter, with two-year-old wood at the base. One-year twigs with a heel of two-year branch at the base may also be used. Dip the cuttings in a rooting hormone and allow them to callus one week in a moist place at 50-60? F. Then plant them in moistened potting soil. Summer cuttings may also be made, but they do best if you remove the leaves and then refrigerate them for 2-3 weeks before potting them up. If you want to take a cutting now, simply remove the leaves, refrigerate them, then set the cut ends into pots filled with moistened potting soil. You can take several cuttings and pot them all up in a single container. Set them in a shady part of the garden. They should root within a few weeks.