The Q&A Archives: Moss in new sod

Question: We laid sod 1yr ago and it is already spotted with moss. I purchased lime and a lawn seed

Answer: You can reseed now. Lime takes a while to work its way down into the soil to reduce acidity and its presence won't stop your grass seeds from germinating. Moss is a symptom of several conditions: too much shade, compacted soils, or low soil pH are the most commonly encountered. A small patch might indicate poor drainage so dig the area and add some compost to both loosen the soil and help it drain faster. Then level the amended area and lay your patch product. I'm sure the new grass will fill in quickly. If the area gets too much shade, perhaps you can limb up any trees or shrubs that are casting too much shade on the lawn? Best wishes with your turf.