The Q&A Archives: dogwood tree

Question: We recently planted a pink flowering dogwood tree and it had pink flowers on it when we planted it. We followed the directions on planting the tree, but now all the leaves are withered. dont know if it getting too much water from all the rain recently. Ant advice for this tree would be very helpfull. I have been told these trees are hard to take care of but it is what my wife wanted. Thanks, David

Answer: You're right, dogwoods can be temperamental, but when given the right growing conditions they develop into beautiful landscape trees. Since you've only recently planted your tree I think it is just adjusting to its new environment. This transplant stress will continue until the roots become well established. Lots of rain can keep the soil too saturated and the roots can suffocate. There's not much you can do about rainfall, but you can take care in watering - when it finally stops raining! - by deeply soaking the soil once each week throughout the growing season. It is early in the season so I think the tree will replace the dead leaves. By next spring it should flower and leaf out beautifully for you. Enjoy!