The Q&A Archives: pruning azaleas

Question: they have finished blooming and I'm not sure where, on the plant, to prune/snip. I have 12 in a row/hedge about 2ft+ high and 4 years in the ground and doing great.

Answer: Azaleas are usually well behaved and won't need a lot of pruning, unless you are trying to shape them into a formal hedge. If this is the case, you can simply use a hedge trimmer to remove a few inches from all around the plants. Every stem you cut will eventually develop one or two new stems, which will spend the summer developing new flower buds for next year's display. If you want to do more selective pruning you can simply shorten any extra long branches by cutting them back as far as the other, or even a little shorter than the others. You won't hurt your plants with a little light pruning. Best wishes with your azaleas.