The Q&A Archives: Spearmint Taking Over

Question: How do I get rid of spearmint. It popped up in an area of our garden and is absolutely taking over. It is in an area where we currently have day lilies, spirea, and flox (low grower). Last year the spearmint grew to be 3 ft, I hacked and pulled them out one at a time. What can I do now?

Answer: Members of the mint family are often considered invasive because the plants will spread by roots, seeds, and by fallen stems that come in contact with the soil. To completely eradicate spearmint, you must hand dig the roots plus remove the stems. Any plant part left in the soil can root and become a new plant. There's no easy way to get rid of mint, especially in established beds. Just begin digging, and don't give up until the last of the plants have been pulled! Another approach is to starve the plants out. If you can keep the plants cut down, especially keeping the flowers from developing, the roots will eventually run out of energy to produce stems and leaves and will die out. It will take a while, but keep cutting and digging and you'll get the upper hand!