The Q&A Archives: White Bugs

Question: I recently discovered very very small white bugs crawling all over my plants and killing everything. They do not have wings. They are not eggs they are actually moving around on the top and underside of leaves. There is such a huge amount the leaves look white. I thought it was something else but when I looked very close they were tiny. What are they?

Answer: Without seeing them I have to take an educated guess that they are aphids. Aphids can be controlled with repeated sprays of insecticidal soap. If you do not think they are aphids, collect them by pulling off an infested leaf and putting it in a sealable plastic bag. Then take the bag to your local cooperative extension office or well staffed nursery and ask them to identify the pests. Once you know what you're dealing with you can choose the appropriate control measures.