The Q&A Archives: Removing wilted blossums

Question: As I understand it, removing a wilted blossum on a flowering plant is called

Answer: You're close - removing spent flowers is called "deadheading" and if you pinch off the flower along with part of the stem the plant will respond by developing one or two new flowering stems. Cut the old flowers off right away and your plant will quickly grow new flowers. If you do not deadhead spent and faded flowers the plant will spend energy developing seeds instead of additional flowers. So, if the flower is large, cut cut it off the plants with pruners or scissors. If your plant has lots of small blossoms you can just shear them all off at once with scissors. Hope this answers your question.

« Click to go to the homepage

» Ask a question of your own

Q&A Library Searching Tips

  • When singular and plural spellings differ, as in peony and peonies, try both.
  • Search terms are not case sensitive.

Today's site banner is by mcash70 and is called "Moss on a log"