The Q&A Archives: Planting three different plants together

Question: I purchased a dracaena, a elephant ear, and a zz (Zamioculcas) plant together in one pot. I just finished potting the three of them today. I'm concerned about the watering. The directions for watering each plant are very different. Can they survive together or should I put them in seperate pots? I think they are annual plants but I might be wrong.

Answer: I think they will grow well together. My only concern is that elephant ears gets really, really big and may crowd out the dracaena and Zamiculcas. You may want to move the elephant ears to its own container. Since dracaena and Zamiculcas are both upright plants, why not plant a low growing, colorful annual in the pot with them? I think it will look spectacular!