The Q&A Archives: Plants Aversive to Japanese Beetles

Question: Please recommend some colorful perennials and annuals suitable for Zone 7 (North Carolina Piedmont) that Japanese Beetles DON'T LIKE to eat. They ate my roses and cannas. Salvia and impatiens do well, but I'm bored with them. I need suggestions for flowers that are both easy to care for and unappetizing to Japanese Beetles. It's become easier to simply not plant their favorite food flowers than to fight them with pesticides. Thank you. J. Hoppenworth

Answer: Japanese beetles have been known to eat anything if they're hungry enough. You might try plants with fuzzy leaves such as lamb's ears and borage. Also, in my garden they stay away from marigolds, petunias, nicotiana, purple coneflowers, daylilies andiris, which should all grow fine in your area.