The Q&A Archives: Increasing Flower Production of Roses

Question: Is there any easy ways to enhance flower production in roses? I have heard that a little epsom salts sprinkled around the soil of the rose will give more flowers, but I don't know how true this is.

Answer: Every rose enthusiast has their own secret formula for success. Epsom salts will supply magnesium, a needed element, in a readily available form. However, the naturally mined fertilizer potassium magnesium sulfate (also called Sul-Po-Mag and K-Mag) will also provide this element.
The real question is, "does your soil need supplemental magnesium?"

A soil test can help answer that. Check with your County Horticulture Agent, Mr. Vince Manino, at the Jefferson County Extension office (ph# 409/835-8461) for information on having your soil tested.

Probably the most important factors in getting lots of blooms from your roses are choosing varieties adapted to your area, planting them in full sun, fertilizing them regularly, keeping them well watered, and managing insect, mite and disease problems. Anything that reduces leaf area and efficiency will hurt blooming.