The Q&A Archives: Strawberry plants dying

Question: I planted five strawberry plants purchased locally about two weeks ago. They are in a raised bed that gets a lot of sun (Las Vegas, NV). They began with potting soil and fertilizer. Fruit appeared quickly, but one by one the leaves of each plant are turning brown and crispy and dying. It looks like they are burning in the sun, but I am watering daily & was told they need LOTS of sun. Help.

Answer: Strawberry plants thrive in the sun but yours may need a little time to acclimate to your garden. Wait for new leaves to develop. If they turn crispy, too, you may need to move the plants to a site that gets a little shade from the late afternoon desert sunshine. Or, you might be able to build a fence or put in a trellis that will cast some afternoon shade on your plants. Best wishes with your strawberries.