The Q&A Archives: Grubs

Question: I have a very bad grub problem...and an organic garden...they are around everything from trees(redbud) to strawberries and are creating havoc in my garden...any suggestions?

Answer: A bio-safe, organic solution to grubs is milky spore, a wettable powdered form of a microbe known as 'Bacillus thuringiensis' or "BT". It is sold under the brand names 'Doom', 'Japidemic' and 'Grub attack. Another organic control for grubworms is using beneficial nematodes. The nematode-powder (such as Bioquest) is mixed with water it is then sprayed on to the affected area. It is important to water immediately after application. Best results are still during the mid-summer months as this is when the grub populations are at their highest.