The Q&A Archives: Rid lawn of weeds

Question: I have henbit, plantain,crabgrass, quack grass and dandelions along with many others I have yet to identify. I do not want to kill the grass, or harm any plants. I am leaning towards total kill lawn weed killer. Is this my best option? Can not resod or kill all vegatation. my 4 year old plays in backyard. Thanks Tammy

Answer: What a quandry! If your lawn has more weeds than turfgrass, it really would be better to start all over again with a clean slate. That would include tilling up the soil, raking out the weeds, and reseeding the area. Failing that, you can use a broadleaf weed killer (which will not harm your lawn). The grassy weeds can be spot treated with glyphosate (which is a vegetation killer so any turf it contacts will die, as well). You will need to rake out the dead areas, work a little compost into the soil and then reseed. If you put your lawn on a regular watering, feeding and mowing schedule it will grow thick and lush enough to crowd out weeds. If you apply a pre emergence product in early spring of next year, before weed seeds germinate, you can stop crabgrass and other weeds from sprouting up next year. Good luck with your lawn.