The Q&A Archives: shrub root killer

Question: I am trying to plant some flowers and I want to remove the shrubs that were there when we first moved in. I have cut the shrubs down as far as I can and I was thinking of doing a raised flowerbed but a raised flowerbed is going to cost too much. Is there a way to kill the shrub roots to make it easier to pull them up?

Answer: Probably the best approach is to dig down around the remaining stump and cut the largest roots with a tree saw to free the stump and then dig under and pull out the biggest roots. Depending upon the type of shrub, the roots may die down once the stump is gone - or they may sent up dozens of suckering shoots. So, removing as many of the roots as possible will ensure your new flower bed won't be invaded by roots of the old shrubs.