The Q&A Archives: lawn problem

Question: (Chandler, AZ) I Have a tiffgreen lawn. I must have a fungus. The affected grass looks gray almost chalkish looking. When I mow through it to areas not infected what ever I pick up on the tires is rolled into other areas affecting only where the tires roll. It started in a small circular area last summer, but is now much larger. Hope you can help. It is ruining a beautiful back yard.

Answer: Powdery mildew is a common lawn disease which creates a dusty white coating on grass blades. Large infected areas look as if the grass has been dusted with flour or lime. Heavily infected leaves turn yellow and die.Bayer Advanced Fungus Control for Lawns should control it. You might also think about dethatching your lawn. Excess thatch can hold too much moisture, which will make your turf more susceptible to fungal diseases.