The Q&A Archives: sago palm

Question: I purchased 2 sago palms for my Mother-in-Law for Mother's Day and she asked me how to take care of them, I have no idea. I read what was on the website but would like to know more. What type of plant food, are there any problems ie disease, insects to watch out for (they are in a Florida Room) when do they need to be repotted. Any help would be great

Answer: Sago palms are very slow growing and if they are growing indoors, you won't have too many insect or diseases to be concerned about. You can feed every four weeks with a half strength dilution of water soluable fertilizer (Miracle Gro, Peter's, etc.) Allow the top half inch of soil to dry out and then water thoroughly. The soil needs to dry out a bit or the roots will become waterlogged, so let the top of the soil dry out between watering. Because they are so slow growing you probably won't need to repot more often than about every 2-3 years. Hope this answers all your question!