The Q&A Archives: Strawberry Disease?

Question: This year the leaves on my strawberry plants are looking washed out, with only the veins remaining green. It seems to be spreading to more plants. This is in a bed that has been healthy for years. Can you give me advice about what the problem is and how to correct it?

Answer: Based on your description it is difficult to give a definite diagnosis but it is possible that the plants are suffering from verticillium wilt. In older plantings, the symptoms of this fungus appear as the fruit begins to ripen. The older outer leaves wilt and turn brown around the edges and between the veins, and this can give the appearance of yellowing on some leaves. You may also notice the leaf petioles turning red and/or the crown and roots turning brown.

Although this particular planting seemed healthy, it is possible to spread the fungus from one bed to another on your tools. Unfortunately, the best way to control the problem is to plant only resistant varieties from now on.